Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Obamas are going to "eat the view"


The other day, Michelle Obama had some children join her in breaking ground on the southern lawn at the White House, in an area where she plans to grow a garden for her family and visitors to the White House. (We'll leave speculation on how much of the actual gardening a busy First Lady will be able to do for another time.) If you'd like to join me in thanking the Obama's for recognizing the importance of setting an example for the American public by raising their own garden, especially in these rough economic times, you can go to the eattheview website and send a message of appreciation.

Since spring came to Utah in its typical fashion last week (which is to say, we had one of the biggest snowstorms of the year a few days before the first official day of spring, and it has snowed two or three times since then, and it is currently snowing...) I don't think I'll be doing much gardening myself for a few more weeks yet. But my square foot gardens are out there, patiently waiting for the snow to melt and for me to be able to plant the peas, onions, carrots, radishes, and lettuce that are hearty enough to endure the remaining snow storms and freezing weather sure to come in a Utah spring.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea - I hope it takes hold. I have my potatoes and peas planted and they are covered in snow, but they should enjoy the water!

    ReplyDelete