Well, not an ode, exactly, because I never claimed to be a poet. This is actually more of a whinefest, because (if you haven't heard) the latest product to be jerked from store shelves because of a salmonella scare is the scrumptious, lovely, humble, yet so delectable pistachio.This picture, btw, was borrowed with attribution :-) from this website where you can buy Greek Pistachios. I am now in conservation mode and am rationing my remaining pistachios, but I foolishly squandered my pistachio crisps (see below.) If I get desperate enough before they lift the ban, I may have to buy some if the FDA will allow them to be imported! With shipping included, I could apparently get 4kg for 82 Euro, which works out to be 8.82 pounds for roughly $108.5 US, or about $12.30 per pound. Ouch. Then again, how much have I been paying for pistachios lately???
I had meant to blog about one of my favorite snacks lately, which I discovered on a shopping trip to Costco with my dear sister Denise around last December. OOOHHH, I think I may faint, I just went to their website and it says True North products are NOT affected by the pistachio recall. I am going to have to go to Albertsons and inform them of this fact!! The vast chasm in my soul (or that organ formerly known as my stomach) that was wrest when I saw the empty spot on the shelf yesterday when I went looking for my True North Pistachio Crisps may soon be filled again!!! (click on "our products" at the top left of the page, then "nut crisps" in the center, to see what I am talking about.) One thing I love about these nut crisps is that the first ingredient in them is Pistachios, not wheat flour or soy or sugar or something like that.Shamelessly copied from their website (again, with attribution :-) ) I list the following info:
We're 100% Natural
- Naturally Made - We bring a natural approach to everything we do, starting with our products. Every ingredient in TrueNorth™ nut snacks has been made in a natural way. TrueNorth™ snacks are free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives, so every ingredient does what it is naturally intended to do.
- Every TrueNorth™ product starts with nutritious almonds, peanuts, pistachios, pecans or walnuts. These nuts are lower in saturated fat than other nuts, and contain mostly mono and polyunsaturated fats.
- Every TrueNorth™ product contains 5g of protein per serving.
- You'll find nuts listed as the first ingredient in every one of our tasty nut snacks.
editorial note: 5 g of protein does not mean these chips are loaded with fiber, there are only 2g of fiber in a 12 chip serving.
Today's Happiness List:
- Pistachios and True North Pistachio Crisps!
- Stash Chai Spice (decaffinated) with cream and sugar
- Clean, pure water (something we in developed countries take for granted)

No comments:
Post a Comment