Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ask the Obamas to plant a Victory Garden



I have to admit that I think this is a great idea...but I do find one thing wrong with this campaign. The graphic showing President Obama digging into the lawn outside the Whitehouse. Sure, it's symbolic and all, but really, the time for digging up our lawns to plant our gardens has passed. We should all be planting our gardens above-ground now.


It is faster, easier on our (aging) backs, easier to weed thus requiring less or no chemicals, you don't compact the soil by walking up and down the rows (hence lowering the carbon footprint of our garden since we don't have to use nitrogen-based commercial fertilizers, not to mention not requiring the gas motors of tillers) and you can grow more food in less space than you ever dreamed possible! Sound impossible? It isn't!

Read more about it at Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening website. He invented it. He's the expert.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, those little squares are right at bunny level! We've been overrun with the cute little critters lately. Although I did find a rabbit foot in the pasture today (actually Deja did) with a very clean leg bone attached.Owl?

    ReplyDelete