Sunday, February 22, 2009

On Being Happy

I was reading an article in a fibromyalgia magazine the other day in the doctor's office. It has been a few days now so I am a little unclear about all of the details, though I did have the Dr's office staff photocopy the article for me so I could finish reading it and refer back to it, so I'll do that and correct any misstatements I may make here.

The main point that I remember from it and that I am trying to relate here is that the simple act of writing down three things that make you happy, every day, for a week can have lasting implications on your level of happiness (i.e., lack of depression) for up to as much as 6 months later.

That seems pretty simple, doesn't it? Of course, lack of follow-through is one of my weaknesses, so I won't promise my list of three things every day for a week will make it here to my blog, but I will write three things today, and every time I remember to. Here is today's list, which has 4 items to get me off to a good start:
  • My family - I have a wonderful family that I love and that loves me. They mean the world to me and I am so grateful to be a part of such a wonderful family.
  • My friends - although most of them are far flung and on the net, they are wonderful and great people and I can't imagine being without them
  • My dogs - I have three lovely, energetic, funny, happy, goofy, slightly annoying but always lovable GSDs who I love with all my heart.
  • Bonus item - fresh asparagus, lightly roasted or gently cooked in olive oil, sprinkled with sesame seeds and drizzled with balsamic vinegar - yum!
What is on your list?


Nancy and the GSD crew

3 comments:

  1. Three things that make ME happy are:
    -pretty pictures and paintings
    -laughing and making others laugh
    -singing/hearing beautiful songs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two in common with Nancy: family and friends and one in common with Sarah: music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, to limit it to three:

    My family and friends( I count them as one as I have so few close friends, I count them as family)
    My faith in Christ and in eternal life

    Traveling whenever and wherever

    ReplyDelete