Friday, March 25, 2011

Gardening update

Not that I've actually been out in my garden yet, because it is currently SNOWING outside (it is, after all, Logan) but I did go and buy a bunch of seeds and some onion sets, and some two year old Asparagus roots will be in at the garden shop in a week or two. I think my neglect has killed off most of the Asparagus I had. So, on my list of 11 things for 2011, growing a garden is still high on the list.

I went to a Utah Native Plant Propagation Workshop the other night and got to plant a bunch of seeds for native flowers and grasses, and if all goes according to plan (ha ha ha) I will have some little plantlets to put out in my parking strip this spring. I am trying to fill my 13 foot deep parking strips with native, low water use plants, so that when they mature I rarely have to water my parking strip. I think I am going to go to the workshop again tomorrow just so I can plant some more plants of different varieties to grow, they had a bunch of different types of plants.

If my plans actually pan out, my neighbors will be extremely happy, because I killed the grass in my parking strips about 4 years ago, and they have had to deal with the resulting weeds and bare dirt since then, and I know they consider my yard to be an eyesore. Now that I am feeling better (and have so much time on my hands) maybe I can do something about it. I sure know I want to get rid of the puncture vine that tends to grow there, so maybe covering the seeds with a foot of compost and then some river rocks and "gravel" will keep those seeds at bay.

On my happiness list this week:
1. Better living through chemistry!
2. My family, as always, whom I adore and saw many of at my niece's baby shower
3. My friend LynnAnne who helps me learn new crafts


Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment