Despite the fact that it has rained just about every day or two for the past month, I actually managed to get out and mow my lawn at the very end of March. Now, you may be thinking that I was rushing the season, since I usually wait as long as possible to mow, but I had an ulterior motive. I had just bought a new lawn mower earlier in March, and finally had nice enough weather to go pick it up and take it for a spin. I wanted to be sure to try it out within the 30 day return period. Unfortunately (for my pocketbook) that is exactly what I did, try it out and return it. The handlebars were so poorly designed that I ended up hating it, it rubbed against the outsides of my wrists as I was mowing and they ended up hurting for another week and a half after I finished mowing. The MOWING itself was great, the lawnmower started well, cut well, and even had a clock and trip odometer (neither of which were factors that I considered when purchasing it.) It had, but I didn't use, an electric start. It was all great except the dang handles, so I packed it up and took it back and coughed up the 15% restocking fee. So that was one expensive lawn mowing adventure ($62 for one use.) Hopefully the next purchase will be the last. I am considering a twin-blade Honda mulching mower from Home Depot.
I have planted peas and onions, and if the rain/snow ever stops, I will plant my potatoes and asparagus. I did get a lot of spring cleaning done in the garden area, raking up old grass and hay, and digging out a lot of tree saplings that sprouted during the year or two of neglect the garden area has suffered. There is still a lot to be done, but I felt very satisfied with how much I had accomplished!
Regarding snow: we had a heavy, wet snow the first week of April, and it took out an apple tree at my house--completely knocked it over on its side, pulling the roots up out of the ground. I am very sad to lose the tree as it is at least 40 years old. But the fact that a snow storm was able to uproot it just shows that it was weak and ready to die anyway, I guess. I hope to be replacing it, and the one that died 4 or so years ago (and is still standing in my backyard waiting to be cut down) with a couple of HoneyCrisp apple trees. Those are such fabulous apples, it will be hard to wait for the trees to mature to be able to start eating apples off of them!
Happiness list:
1. My family, who I love very much and am lucky enough to live close to (close to most of them anyway, I miss seeing the ones that live further away!)
2. Reading: there is nothing better than getting involved in a great book!
3. My dogs, as usual. They are always happy to see me when I come home from work or being out and about.
Monday, April 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nancy--so sad to hear about your apple tree and sad lawn mowing experiences. Hope that the rest of your gardening pans out a little better. I am excited to keep up on your blog now. I am afraid that I will have to leave my gardening ideations up to next summer...
ReplyDeleteOh, lame about the lawn mower--you would think more testing would be done to determine if things like that are going to happen when the product is being used.
ReplyDeleteHoney Crisp apples are the best--good luck with getting the old trees out and the new ones in!